It may surprise you to learn that earthquakes have occurred in nearly all 50 states. Seismic activity can disrupt communities and displace families for weeks.
FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY- FEMA
The Federal Emergency Management Agency - a former independent agency that became part of the new Department of Homeland Security in March 2003 - is tasked with responding to, planning for, recovering from and mitigating against disasters.
- General information on Earthquakes
- Know your Earthquake terms
- What is the Earthquake risk where I live?
- What to do before an Earthquake?
- What to do during an Earthquake?
- What to do after an Earthquake?
The American Red Cross responds to disasters such as hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, and fires, or other situations that cause human suffering or create human needs that those affected cannot alleviate without assistance. It is an independent, humanitarian, voluntary organization, not a government agency.